Thursday 8 December 2011

I predict a riot ... or public disorder ... says ex Police Chief



With budgets under increasing pressure, unemployment growing and Police morale also becoming an issue, Lord Stevens, recently launched an independent commission into the future of Policing, saying "my own belief is - and it's a very personal one - that (over) the next 18 months, two to three years, one of the main issues will be public order, or rather public disorder".

"I don't think anyone would disagree with that in terms of the challenges facing policing. We'll be looking at that in some detail," he said.

"My gut feeling and beyond is that it's going to be a very difficult 18 months, two years, but I hope to God I'm wrong."

He predicted "disquiet on the streets" and said he was really concerned about unemployment - particularly youth unemployment and "a sense of increasing crime" and said "The police have to be absolutely match fit to deal with these issues."



Indeed - I don't think anyone needs a crystal ball to see this one coming ... and I think the timeframes are probably about right too.